Sunday, August 7, 2011

Reading: "Bird by Bird" [Anne Lamott]





From the introduction:

That thing you had to force yourself to do - the actual
act of writing - turns out to be the best part. It's like discovering
that while you thought you needed the tea ceremony for the caffeine,
what you really needed was the tea ceremony.
The act of writing turns out to be its own reward.
(Anne Lamott, "Bird byBird", emphasis mine)

If you spend any significant amount of time with me, you know that I love to write - my journal goes with me everywhere - and I'm giving myself more and more space to do it these days. Songwriting discipline, more frequent blogging, etc. But spend too much time writing, and I can easily convince myself it's stupid and meaningless.

Thank goodness for this introduction!


No comments: