- Resent him for not doing his dishes.
- Tell him one thing when I mean another. Instead, I’ll have a real conversation about it, not a passive-aggressive one in passing.
- Ask him to do things that I am not willing to do myself. How many times have I caught myself doing the very thing that bugs me about another person?
- Forget it’s his house, too. He pays rent. He lives here. Give up some control here.
- Love myself more than him.
As hard as it is to live with others - sharing space, sharing decisions, sharing needs - it can often be harder to live with yourself.
In the 5 years we’ve lived with a variety of people, I’ve learned a lot about myself. I’ve not necessarily changed a lot about myself, but I have seen it. I have spoken it aloud. But now it my opportunity to put into practice some of the change I hope to see in myself.
What have you learned about yourself from living with others (roommates, spouses, parents, etc.)? Have you been brave enough, vulnerable enough, to make changes?