Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Chance to Change

In less than a month, our new housemate will move in. Here are 5 things I hope not to do:
  1. Resent him for not doing his dishes.
  2. Tell him one thing when I mean another. Instead, I’ll have a real conversation about it, not a passive-aggressive one in passing.
  3. Ask him to do things that I am not willing to do myself. How many times have I caught myself doing the very thing that bugs me about another person?
  4. Forget it’s his house, too. He pays rent. He lives here. Give up some control here.
  5. Love myself more than him. 
As hard as it is to live with others - sharing space, sharing decisions, sharing needs - it can often be harder to live with yourself. 

In the 5 years we’ve lived with a variety of people, I’ve learned a lot about myself. I’ve not necessarily changed a lot about myself, but I have seen it. I have spoken it aloud. But now it my opportunity to put into practice some of the change I hope to see in myself.

What have you learned about yourself from living with others (roommates, spouses, parents, etc.)? Have you been brave enough, vulnerable enough, to make changes?

No comments: