Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"We need a break."


No, not me and Jeff. Me and Facebook. Facebook and I. Whatever.

We need a break.

Why do I need time off from Facebook? Same reason I need time off from any other time-waster, over-connected, shallow thing which robs precious time and space from my life. I could give too much attention to many other things - and I have and still do - but Facebook is the most notable in my life right now.

It's been a long time since I spent hours on Facebook, but when I sit down to my Profile for 10 minutes at a time, 4-5 times a day, I feel it. The time adds up. And for what? To check messages or comments? From whom? People I rarely see, or those I'm truly connected to? (And if I'm truly connected to them, FB isn't what's feeding our relationship to begin with!)

And so that's why I'm taking a break. I'll begin on Ash Wednesday and continue through Lent, maybe longer. I'll continue to blog, because writing is and has always been important to me (scrolling through status updates has not).

In the meantime, check out this great article by Ron Sider, "An Open Letter to This Generation"

No comments: